Browse Items (35 total)
Sort by:
Mill Pond - 1977
The water has been lowered in order to repair foundations at the mill buildings. A trestle used during WW 1 is exposed . This trestle was used to support a water flume to carry water to the boiler room while #1 mill was being built in 1917 and …
St. Bridget's Roman Catholic Church - ca 1900
Views from Assabet (Mill) Pond
The church is seen from the Percival Street side. The water in front was later filled in order to build the parochial school.
Foundation for No. 1 Building - 1916
After the Millpond was drained so that the foundation for the new No. 1 mill building could be laid, a wooden flume was constructed to carry water from Sudbury Street to the mill.
Millpond Picture
A picture of the Millpond. In order to make the river a more stable source of power, Amory Maynard bought from Haman Smith a strip of land connecting the river to the mill area. Artemus Whitney, a close associate of Maynard's, dug a canal that led…
Maynard Pumping Station on Winter Street
Historically housed pumps that moved water from tanks at the rear of the building. Water flowed from White Pond into the tanks and was pumped up to the reservoir on Summer Hill.
Installing the Water Pipes
White Pond to Pumping Station
Paul Wilson, Superintendent of the Walter Works, in center of photo is inspecting the work. The water line is being installed from White Pond, Hudson to the Maynard Pumping Station, see 1999.2787.
Mill Pond Stereograph
Looking west at the Mill Pond from "Maynard's Hill" in the 1870-1880s (prior to building of houses on Front Street)
Assabet Mill and Mill Pond
View across the pond of the mill with two chimneys visible.
Chimney on left taken down in mid-1950's.
The RR Station can be seen on the left in the top photo.
Chimney on left taken down in mid-1950's.
The RR Station can be seen on the left in the top photo.
Promotional Poster - 1946
Six Miles Road Race
The 18th annual road race was sponsored by the Kanto A. C. of the Finnish-American Athletic League. The race began at Memorial Park and ended at the club grounds on Fort Pond, Littleton and was the opening activity of the Knights of Kaleva. The…
Warranty Deed - 1917
Delia M. Casey to
The Finnish Workingmen's Association "Taisto"
Memorandum of Sale - 1945
Finnish Workingmen's Association "Taisto" to Baikar Association, Inc.
The deed conveys 22 acres of land and a pond near the junction of Puffer Rd. and Old Marlboro Road that was referred to as Voses. The Finnish community used the area for many years for a camp, athletic events, performances and other social…
Women and Girl Scouts at Long Pond - 1930
Thirteen black and white photos of women and Girl Scouts enjoying the camp at Long Pond in July 1930.
Included in the photos are: Mrs. Thorsezl, Mrs. Potter, Mrs. McKay (Camp Nurse), Mrs. Darson, Long Pond, Court of Honor, Elsie Kennedy, Stickney…
Included in the photos are: Mrs. Thorsezl, Mrs. Potter, Mrs. McKay (Camp Nurse), Mrs. Darson, Long Pond, Court of Honor, Elsie Kennedy, Stickney…