Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Postcards

Dublin Core

Title

Postcards

Description

The MHS Postcard Collection is one of the best, and possibly most entertaining, way of looking into the history of the Town. Each postcard is a little cultural time capsule.

Most contain images of the day -- often events and scenes that you wouldn't consider postcard material today. Many of our donated postcards show the correspondence of the times - short dispatches from our town across the decades.

Contributor

Dave Griffin (Maynard Historical Society)

Some Items in the Postcards Collection

View all of the items in collection

Concord High School Baseball Team 1904
Frank “Jinx” Murray, standing at extreme right, was member of this team. He then went on to Tufts College where he captained the team in his Senior Year. An outstanding baseball and basketball player, he went on to become one of the most famous…

Concord, Maynard, & Hudson Car Barn on Great Road
This was the early days of the company - about 1906. Built in 1901 by Edward Price of Warren, MA. Destroyed by fire on the night of January, 25, 1918.

Methodist Church - 1906
Corner of Main and Summer Streets. Built in 1895. Church group organized in 1867. First worship held in Union Hall which they bought in 1870, selling it later to James Higgins, who removed it to face Main Street and remodeled it for a business block…

Paper Mill Dam and Assabet Mills - Early 1900s
Near Waltham Street, site of old paper mill. Dam washed out with the Paper Mill Bridge in 1927. Assabet River went on a rampage after a terrific rainstorm. About 1829 a paper mill was built at the corner of Summer and Parker Streets, using the…

Saint Bridget Roman Catholic Church - 1907
Cornerstone of this church laid in 1881. Dedicated in 1884. Mass often said in proviate houses in Assabet Village until Union Hall was built in 1887 which was then used. A church was erected on upper Main Street (near 195) and dedicated in…

Riverside Cooperative Building
Foreground, Corner of Nason and Summer Streets. Build in 1882 and operated by the Riverside Cooperative Society until 1936. Fire destroyed the entire top two floors on January 30, 1936. The Knights of Columnbus purchased the property and rebuilt…

Assabet and Middlesex Houses
Boarding houses on Main Street (USPS). These houses were built in 1902 by the American Woolen Company and served as boarding houses until 1933 when the Town purchased the entire building and used it for a Town Building until 1962. See 1999.A188,…

Boston & Maine Railroad Station - 1907
Looking east on Main Street. Located at xx Main Street. Built in 1850. It was turn down in 1957.

Main Street and Post Office - 1914
Looking east from the Main Street Bridge. Post Office was located in this end of Maynard’s Block (Masonic Block) on the right. Note the bandstand in the foreground. This is on Walnut Street (King Square). The bandstand was removed in 1915 as a…

Bird’s Eye View of the West End - 1920s
St. Bridget Church in background, left. Flood’s Barn (later called Pastime Hall) with blue roof in center background - destroyed by fire 25-Feb-1967.

Assabet Mills - 1930s
Taken from Front Street.

Nanny Goat Rock - Assabet River
This rock juts out of the river just before you make the turn at Crow Island

Whitman’s Crossing - Boat Landing
This was the Lake Boon end of the ride on the Assabet River from Maynard. The Boston & Maine Railroad Station in background.

Lake Boon Landing - 1926
The “Princess” carried passengers from the railroad and from the river boats around Lake Boon, stopping at several places.

Lake Boon - The Princess - 1926
On one of the trips around the lake