Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Centennial Monograph: Alms House - Poor Farm


Dublin Core


Centennial Monograph: Alms House - Poor Farm


A chronology of the former Alms House / Poor Farm which was located at 206-209 Great Road (the large white house across from Alumni Field / 2020)


Alice Hakala





Document Item Type Metadata


"Alms House" - "Poor Farm"

In 1900, the Alms House was equipped with a steam heating plant.

In 1902, the roof was shingled and new gutters put on. The barn was clapboarded and repainted.

In 1903 Mr. & Mrs. A. Dunham took over the management of the Almshouse.

In the year 1908, Electric Lights and, a telephone were installed. More radiators and the bathroom were installed later in the year.

Mr. & Mrs, Dunham received a salary of $500.00 a year for running the farm.

In 1919 due to the small number of inmates at the Town Farm and the ever increasing expense of labor and groceries and so forth, the Overseers decided to board the inmates elsewhere. The Overseers recommended that the Town keep the Property, and let if for a time, until the Town sees fit to use the property for other purposes.

The Overseers closed the Town Farm on April 1, 1920, and made arrangements for the care of inmates at the Town Farm in Hudson. The Torn Farm and buildings were then rented.

At the March 10, 1947 Town Meeting the Board of Public Welfare was authorized to sell the property known as the Town Farm House or Alms House at 206-208 Great Road. The property was advertised for sale under written sealed bids in local papers and the Boston Globe. The bids were opened on April 25, 1947 in the welfare office, and the property was sold to Mr. William Hanson for $8,000.00 it being the highest bidder putting a final end to the ”Alms-House", ’'Poor Farm".

Submltted by Alice Hakala - Feb. 1965