Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (32 total)

  • Tags: Assabet Mill

A 22 in. x 35 in. piece of the first material manufactured in the Assabet Mill when if started in 1847. Preserved and handed down through the Maynard family.

This piece of cloth was last owned by William H. Gutteridge. Mr. Gutteridge came to…

Bobbin of dark brown yarn from Assabet Mills.

Photograph of the overseers of the mill taken in 1921.
Left to Right
Front Row
1. Harry Burnham 2. James J Morgan 3. Everett Troope, Sr (alternate spelling Troup) 4. Charles Courtney 5. Frank Prue 6. Joseph Donohue 7. Albert Easthope 8. Thomas…

Series of external views of the mill c.1930. One photo shows unloading of wool into the building.

Photo of Office Employees Dry Finishing Department.
Left to Right
Thomas Quirk, ____,_____,____, Tom Deane

Employees of the dry finishing department 1905.
Front Row:
Second from left Albert C. Fourth from left P. Carbone

Original snapshot taken by Ralph Sheridan in 1918 at the time of the construction of the No. 1 Mill. The Mill Pond was completely drained in order to build the foundation. Note wooden flume in background. Also, a pipeline is running from the core…

In 1862,the mills became the Assabet Manufacturing Company. The small wooden buildings were replaced by brick buildings of enlarged capacity. New machinery was installed, and the manufacture of carpets changed to the manufacture of blankets, flannels…

Fabrics are steamed, brushed, sheared and pressed during this series of operations. The nap is raised by brushes and then cut to a uniform height by the huge shear blade, which operates like a stationary lawn mower as the fabric is fed under it.…

Carding step 1.
The wool fibers are straightened and smoothed as they go through one cad cylinder after another. The photo 318.a shows a section of a back winder.
Carding step 2.
After carding, the wide, thin web of wool fiber into strips.…

With the installation of a dynamo in the new power plant, electricity became available and on September 1, 1902, a contract was made between the American Woolen Company and the Town of Maynard for lighting the streets of the town. Thus, the old…

A ledger beginning in November 1884 through September 1901 reporting the various accidents that occurred in the woolen mill. These include deaths, amputations, broken bones, bruises, lacerations etc. The author of the ledger is unknown. Many of the…

A collection of photographs taken at the time of a renovation in the woolen mill showing the many signed beams by the workers.

Some of the names visible are: Hearon, Carew, Helin, Voellings, Kopp, Wango, Clark, Savella, Melenski, Murray, Smith,…

The buildings in red are made of brick, the yellow are made of wood.

Photo on right shown as seen without 3D glasses.