Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Centennial Monograph: Finnish Workers' Federation Club


Dublin Core


Centennial Monograph: Finnish Workers' Federation Club


A short history of the Finnish Workers' Federation Club.


Birger Koski





Document Item Type Metadata


Full text:
The Finnish Workers' Federation Club was organized in 1920-21 as an off-shoot of the Finnish Workingmen’s Society. Both groups were oriented from the old country, but with the Russian Revolution of 1917-18, the society split into two parts. The Federation Club built a hall on Waltham Street in 1923 which burned to the ground in 1932. The hall was in the vicinity of Russo’s Market, now restaurant. After 1932 the club rented the Russian hall (now owned by Maynard Lodge of Elks) on Powdermill Road. With the advance of years, the club disappeared, as the off-spring of the original founders became assimilated into American life, and went their individual ways. During the heyday of the club various sports were engaged in, including track, basketball, gymnastics and wrestling. Many fine Finnish athletes came from this club to compete in High School athletics during the twenties and thirties. The political aspects of the club were divided into old arguments of old country politics, the pros and cons of the Russian revolution, and the participation in union affairs to better their economlc lot in this country.

B.R. Koskl- April meeting of the Maynard Historical Society