Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

St. John's Evangelical Church - Historical Summary


Dublin Core


St. John's Evangelical Church - Historical Summary


A short historical summary of the church.





Document Item Type Metadata


By 1894, the number of Finnish-speaking people In town had increased so that a Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized and in 1907-08 a church building was erected on Glendale Street at a cost of $8,000 and dedicated in June 1908.

A parsonage was built in 1928 at a cost of $6,225. It had no synodical connection until November 10, 19O8 when it affiliated with the Suomi Synod. Rev. John Vartianen was the pastor at the time.

A Sunday School was organized In 1906, Ladies' Aid Society In 1906.

They had fourteen pastors up to 1934.

There were one hundred seventy-flve members in 1934 at the 40th anniversary celebration at which Jacob Laurila, chairman of the celebration committee, recited a history of the church.

In 1967 the church moved to a new building ever the town line In Sudbury, at the junction of Great Road and Waltham Street.

Rev. Larry K. Wolff is Pastor at present.


Monograph Collection