Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (55 total)

  • Collection: The Powder Mills, Paper Mill and Jewell Mill

1999.1411e.jpg
Used at the American Powder Mills to warn danger of explosives.

1999.1759e.jpg
A certificate given to Charles Clark in recognition for his contributions "by effort and efficiency while an employee of this company in winning the Army-Navy Production Award for Excellence in War Production"

1999.629e.jpg
The paper mill was in operation from 1820 to the early 1880's located at what is now the corner of Waltham St. and Parker St. The Parker family owned and operated the mill for many years.

1999.526e.jpg
A paper label used to identify rifle cartridge shell powder kegs.

2019.462e.jpg
The second photo has a note pointing out the Music Hall (or the Rink) on Main Street. The woolen mill smoke stack is seen upstream of the Assabet River.

2014.4e.jpg
The corning mill is where the final product was ground into a suitable size for use as gun powder.

2014.3e.jpg
This photo was taken during the dismantling of the wheel mill. Each of the wheels weighed 7 tons. The cross shaft and crown gear weighted 3 tons making a total of 17 tons. The large crown gear had wooden teeth to avoid the friction or sparking of…

2012.478e.jpg
1st photo : Robert "Wink" McGarry. The nickname is attributed to the constant blinking of the eyes due to irritation from manufacturing process.

2nd photo: l to r Alvin Stone, Alfred Carey, "Wink" McGarry

3rd photo : l to r Alfred Carey ,…

2012.440.jpg
Photos of a restored American Powder Division truck seen at a show in 2011.

sB307e.jpg
A photo of the Paper Mill Dam & Bridge.

sB164e.jpg
A photo of the bridge, which was composed of field stone and granite, but the heavy rains caused a flood to undermine the structure. A concrete bridge was built at that time and it lasted until 2012 when it was replaced.

The second photo shows the…

s194,95e.jpg
Top picture is the north side. Bottom picture is the south side.

s268e.jpg
Top view from the Paper Mill Bridge.
Bottom view looking South on the Assabet toward the Paper MIll Bridge and the Assabet Mill.

sB311,12e.jpg
Photos of winter views from the Paper Mill Dam.

Tags: ,

sB86e.jpg
Until 1927 was located south of where the Assabet River runs under the "Paper Mill Bridge". Both the dam and the bridge was washed out in the flood of November 1927. The bridge was replaced and is being replaced again in 2012. The large dark…

1999.548.jpg
Remains of this dam can still be seen from the Paper Mill (Waltham Street) Bridge. The picture was taken in the winter with Assabet River in flood.

1999.345.jpg
The mill was located at the corner of Waltham and Parker Streets, on the river side of Parker Street. Built in 1820 by William May, it was sold to John Sawyer and then later to William Parker. In 1831 it became the Fourdrinier Paper Co., Inc. That…

sB106e.jpg
The photo shows the mill and the Mill Street bridge that spans the Assabet River. This was a combined grist, saw and cider mill run by Asa Smith. It was also known as Jewell's Mill and became the place to hear the news or local gossip. Spindles and…

Tags: ,

File contains histories, incorporation notices, newspaper clippings and miscellaneous information relative to the mill, dam and bridge.