Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (16 total)

  • Tags: post office

The Post Office was then located in the Masonic Building. William Hall was Post Master.

Carrier service was instituted in Maynard on May 1, 1920. The backwards lettering on the truck reads Maynard Laundry.

l to r
Harold V. Sheridan, James H. Eaton, George E "Speck" White, William A. Sweeney

This is an artist's drawing which shows practically all the buildings in the town at the time.

A lifelong resident of Maynard. Well known for his musical talents, dramatics, social, and civic activities. Outstanding end-man in minstrel shows, also a soloist, actor, bowler and politician. Served two terms as a Selectman after retirement from…

Mr. Coughlan, Post Master, was chairman of the 50th Anniversary Committee in 1921.

Top Photo: l to r
Front: Jim Farrell, Tom Maley
Back: Charles Hoffman, Bill Stockwell, Spec. White

Bottom Photo: l to r
Front: Tom Maley, Jim Farrell
Back: Spec. White, Bill Stockwell, Charles Hoffman

The post office was located at the Walnut Street end of the Masonic Building.
l to r
May (Ledgard) Schnair, James B. Farrell, Timothy B. Moynihan, Christopher Wilson, Stanley Rice, Arthur E. Walker (Postmaster), Arthur Sullivan.

The file contains a history, newspaper clippings, several older postcards, photo copies etc... 

The post office was in the Masonic Building. The wagon on the right belonged to Stanley Rice the RFD delivery man.

l to r
Norman Crotty, Frank Sheridan, William Morrill

l to r
Bill Morrill, ___?, __ Waisuk

Frank became postmaster in 1935 and held the job until the 1960's.
l to r
1st photo: Frank Sheridan, his wife, Phillip J. Philbin, ___?

2nd photo: ___?, John Eaton, Frank Sheridan, John Nowick

Thomas Wouldhave was the first druggist in Maynard. His store was located at the corner of Main and River Streets. Ben Johnson succeeded him and moved the store to the east end of the Maynard (Masonic) Block. Ernest Johnson was the postmaster from…

Photograph of Main Street showing the Maynard Post Office, J.A. MacPherson Hardware Store, a Laundry, Woolworth's.

(The photo is not dated, but we know the Post Office moved to this location in 1916.)

This envelope was mailed from Watertown, Mass to Miss Jennie Brooks, Assabet, Mass. It is dated 1869. The stamps are of the 1869 Series, March 1, 1869 to April 9, 1870. This mail was sent just prior to to the change from Assabet, MA to Maynard, MA.

Before Maynard was incorporated (1871) the area in the vicinity of the woolen mill was referred to as Assabet Village. Not sure what the receipt was for however it looks like Amory Maynard received payment from Lydia Brooks or Thomas Brooks.