Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Twilight Club Votes to Disband
Newspaper Article

Dublin Core


Twilight Club Votes to Disband
Newspaper Article


An article that appeared in both the Maynard Enterprise and The Beacon in May 1964.


May 1964





Document Item Type Metadata


Nostalgic Era is Over Twilight Club Dies

Envisioned Lake Boon as a Summer Colony

Maynard: At the annual meeting of the Twilight Club of Maynard held on Monday, May 11, 1964, it was voted to sell the clubhouse and land owned by the club at Lake Boon, Stow, and to dissolve the association. Thus comes the end of the last survivor of the "club" era at Lake Boon.
The Twilight Club of Maynard was organized in 1904 by a group of young men of St. Bridget's Temperance Society. Land was purchased from the Parks family on the west side of Lake Boon, in the part known as the Narrows, and a large and commodious clubhouse was built. The clubhouse was built by the late James Mullen, a contractor form Maynard, and was opened officially on August 5, 1905. At that time there were but few cottages at Lake Boon. Clubs with camps at the lake at that time included, West Point, Tonawanda, Wisteria, Parks, the Lone Pine, Linclon and Fairview.
The Twilight Club members were among the first to vision the development of Lake Boon as a summer colony. Today shores are dotted with homes and cottages, many of them owned by people from Boston and vicinity, as well as those from towns and cities nearby. Since its completion the Twilight Club had been for many years the popular center not only of the summer colony but also of the people of Manard, many of whom have had the use of it for family gatherings and outings. The population of the Lake had so much increased by 1908 that there was a demand that Mass be said Sundays. The Twilight Club gave the use of its cottage and Fr. Killilea, then pastor of St. Bridget's Parish of Maynard, celebrated the first Mass. Mass was celebrated at the Club for three years until thle number attending became so large that an Association was organized and Association Hall was built on land donated by the Twililght Club and Mr. James A. Dooley.
The Charter members of the Twilight Club were - William Connolly, who was the first president; John Hannon, secretary; Thomas Smith, treasurer; Matthew Campbell, James Claflin, William Cleary, Daniel Colbert, Owen Duggan, Louis Hannon, John Horan, John Keegan, James Ledgard, James Mahoney, Charles McGill, Patrick Murphy, William Scully, Edward Sheridan, Joseph Sheridan, Patrick Sherry and Nicholas Whalen. James J. Ledgard is the only Charter member still active in the Club. Other Charter members living are: John J. Keegan of Maynard, Patrick H. Murphy of Framingham, William Cleary of Winchester and Charles McGill of Newton.
The present members of the Club are: Thomas J. Duggan, president; Ralph L. Sheridan, secretary; Edward F. Ledgard, treasurer; and James J. Ledgard, Charter member; Thomas F. Maley, J. Howard Herbert, Louis J. Imbimbo, Louis J. Primiano, Herbert W. Maritn and John A. Doran, all of Maynard; also, Harold J. Murray of Lake Boon, Harold J. Priest of Acton Center, Edward J. Hannon of Baltimore, Md., William D. Tobin of Holliston, John B. Ledgard of South Acton and Robert L. Murray of Milwaukee, Wis. Robert Murray is the son of the late Frank J. Murray, a native son and nationally known football coach for many years at Marquette University and the University of Virginia. Coach Murray was a member of the Twilight Club for many years and spent part of the summer vacations every year at the Club, and while lounging about the spacious quarters worked out many of the gridiron plays that brought victory to his teams.
The Twilight Club will long be remembered for the fine spirit of service and friendship during its sixty years of existence. Beside Frank Murray, memtioned above, many members have gone on to become successful business men including James Ledgard, Herbert Martin Martin, Charles McGill and Patrick Murphy, James Clafkin became Deputy Police Commissioner of Boston, and Ralph L. Sheridan, recently resigned, held the second highest office at the Mass Correctional Institution at West Concord.

Original Format

Paper 7 x 8 in