Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Centennial Monograph: V.F.W. Post #1812


Dublin Core


Centennial Monograph: V.F.W. Post #1812


A history of Maynard Veterans of Foreign Wars (V.F.W.) Post 1812.


James Boothroyd





Document Item Type Metadata


Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States
By James Boothroyd (past commander, historian)

I wish to thank members and all those who have assisted me in compiling this history. Information for history obtained from minutes of VFW Post 1812, Constitution, and by-laws, National and State Department.

Maynard Post 1812 Veterans Of Foreign Wars was instituted April 16, 1930 at a meeting held at Masonic Hall, Maynard. This was the result of the work of the first Commander, Charles Luker, with the help of the Marlboro Post , Sgt. John P. Colleary, and the Hudson Post, Ralph and John Manning, Post officers and the officers of the Middlesex and Suffolk Counties. This was the outcome of two prior meetings held at Cooperative Hall, Maynard . Officers of the new Maynard Post were:
Charles Luker - Commander
Maglione LeSage - Senior Vice Commander
Harold Hanson - Junior Vice Commander
Elmer Mattson - Quartermaster
David K. Hubbard - Adjutant
Michael Towle - Officer of the Day
John T. O'Brien - Chaplain
Edward Johnston - Trustee
James Cheney - Trustee
Joseph Boothroyd - Guard

The officers, along with the following, are charter members of Post 1812:

John Luhsink
Michael Lynch
Joseph Chidley
Cornelius Moynihan
John M. Peterson
Frank P. Wilder
Charles Christianson
Charles Comeau

Charter was left open for 60-90 days.

The Post's next few meetings were held at Moose Hall, which at that time was located next door to our present Post Office.

In October 1930, Charles Luker was re-elected Commander of V.F.W., Maynard for the following year. The only change in officers was John Peterson, who was Chaplain in place of John T. O'Brien.

Early in 1931, a membership drive was conducted and plans made to organize an auxilliary. On Feb. 13, 1931, Maynard V.F.W. Auxillary was instituted.

The Post and Auxillary members held their meetings in their quarters over what is now United Cooperative Society. They started a series of whist parties in order to obtain funds to purchase their flags and rifles, and other necessary materials to run their post.

Since the purpose of this organization is "To care for Him who shall have borne the the battle, and his widow, and orphan.", Maynard V.F.W. Post joined the "Buddy Poppies", which helps support the National Home in Eaton Rapids, Michigan and also the Disabled Veterans, who make the "Buddy Poppy".

The Maynard V.F.W. moved into the Municipal Building or "Town House" as it was called, located where our present Post Office is located. During this period they took part in observing our "Memorial Day" and "Armistice Day" (Veterans' Day) ceremonies. Raising funds to support the organization by various means, such as, carnivals, whist parties, dances, etc.

Maynard Post became one of the members of the Maynard's Veterans Council", when organized in 1946. The purpose of the Council was to combine all Veteran' s activities in the town.

Post #1812 was incorporated in May 15, 1951.

In late 1951, Henry P. and Guy R. Fowler donated a piece of property on Powdermill Rd. next to Powdermill Hall (Elks Home) now. The land for the use of the V. F. W. members were going to build the quarters at this location and had proceeded with plans until they heard that the hall next door was for sale. They were unsuccessful in bidding for the Hall. It was sold to Maynard's Elks Lodge. The V.F.W. decided to sell their land to the same in 1960.

When the new Municipal Building was built, Maynard Post moved into new quarters here they remained until they purchased their own Post Quarters at the corner of Harriman Court and Main Street, January 8, 1967.

The first meeting in their own Post Quarters was a "District Tour" meeting. Maynard, being a member of District 4, which is composed of Northboro Post 498, Marlboro Post 638, Framingham Post 929, Hudson Post 1027, Natick Post 1274, Ashland Post 2331, Wayland Post 6260, Acton Post 7017, Holliston Post 8507.

The first Post meeting was held the following evening. Once the building was purchased, renovations began to make the quarters while all members are proud of. This was the dream of of all the members since the Maynard Post 1812 was first instituted. These quarters are appreciated and used for social and business activities.

Following is a list of Past Commanders and Dates:

1930 - Charles Luker
1931 - Charles Luker
1932 - Michael J. Towler
1933 - John Peterson
1934 - William Morrill
1935 - Joseph Boothroyd
1936 - George F. Outus
1937 - Edward E. Johnson
Nov 1937
Apr 1938 - William L. McCarthy
1938-39 - Elmer W. Mattson
1939-40 - Garl Anderson
1940-41 - Walter Coss
1941-42 - Walter Coss
1942-43 - John West Stewart
1943-44 - Marsh G . Purinton
1944-45 - David J. Foley
1945-46 - William F. Baron
1946-47 - Anthony T. Grigas
1947-48 - Anthony T. Grigas
1948-49 - Joseph Mancini
1949-50 - Frank J. Pazaricki
1950-51 - John M. French
1951-52 - Dominick Colombo
1952-53 - Dominick Colombo
1953-54 - Donald MacGlashing
1954-55 - Donald MacGlashing
1955-56 - Alphonse Januskewicz
1956-57 - Michael DeGrappo
1957-58 - Donald H. Brayden
1958-59 - Harold Cosgro
1959-60 - Russell C. Albee
1960-61 - Russell C. Albee
1961-62- Wesley S. Hirons
1962-63 - Edward A. Hatch
1963-64 - Edward A. Hatch
1964-65 - Edward A. Hatch
1965-66 - James H. Boothroyd
1966-67 - Thomas Brigham
1967-68 - Thomas Brigham
1968-69 - Alphonse Januskewicz
1969-70 - James Fava
1970 - Danial Norman

Besides being a member of District Four, Post 1812 is also a member of the Middlesex County Council.

The following members being past Commanders of County:

Joseph Boothroyd
George F. Outus

The following are past Commanders of District Four:

Joseph Boothroyd
Donald H. Brayden
Dominic Colombo
Donald MacGlashing