Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Centennial Monograph: Maynard Motorcycle Club


Dublin Core


Centennial Monograph: Maynard Motorcycle Club


The story of a short-lived association of cycle riders in the early 1900s.


Birger Koski





Document Item Type Metadata


With the advent of the "horseless carriage” to Maynard in 1901 it did not take too many years for motorcycles to become somewhat popular with the younger element. With the dirt roads prevalent then the cyclist must have been in rather a dusty shape but that did not deter.

Our first newsnote is of November 12, 1909 informing us that William Barter had purchased a motorcycle. By June 7, 1912 an informal club had been organized for the members took a run to Rockingham Park.

April 25, 1913 a club was organized at the Maynard Cycle Company store with twenty-five members. (This store was owned by Walter R. Peterson, father of the present Governor of New Hampshire Walter R. Peterson.) The tourist club elected the following officers: President William Burke (Concord Junction), Vice-president Warren Robbins (Stow), Secretary and Treasurer Walter R. Peterson. The club was to have uniforms for all members and a pennant attached to the bike.

This club lasted into the summer of 1914, but with a serious accident at some races in Acton at that time, the spirit went out of the members and the club disappeared.

All dates from Maynard News
Read at the April I969 meeting of the Maynard Historical Society
B.R. Koski