Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (71 total)

  • Tags: Assabet Mills

2016.546ef.jpg
Postcard, in Finnish, sent from Annie Hnikan(?), Sudbury Rd., Concord to Mary Anderson, Maynard in 1920.

mhs-2016.266.jpg
A lithograph of the woolen mill as seen in 1886. Amory and Lorenzo Maynard's houses are shown on the hill in the upper left corner. View is from Walnut Street. Lorenzo Maynard was the agent at this time.

mhs-2013.374A.jpg
A piece of the first carpet manufactured in Assabet Mills in 1847. The cloth was preserved and handed down through the Maynard family. It was last owned by William Gutteridge, author of "A Brief History of Maynard, Mass. - 1921". William…

mhs-2015.418.jpg
The buildings in red are made of brick, the yellow are made of wood.

mhs-1999.344.jpg
A stereograph showing Assabet Mills and the (then new) Walnut Street Bridge. The bridge was built in 1872, setting an approx date for the photograph. The photograph appears to have been taken from Thompson Street. The River Street Block and the…

2015.255e.jpg
A colored photo of an aerial view of the Mill.

1999.1812e.jpg
Copy of a post card of the mill area taken from Summer Hill.

(See A252-A206)

1999.B137.jpg
A photo of the Assabet Mills taken from Beacon Street.

img420e.jpg
A black and white photo of Gavin Taylor, the overseer of the finishing department of the Assabet Mills. Mr. Taylor was active in town affairs and was a Water Commissioner for many years.

1999.1613.jpg
Christmas Party photograph of the Main Office of the American Woolen Company.

Eva Edwards Frye is noted in the original accession record.

Rear (l-r): Raymond Veitch, ?? Templeton, Margaret McCormack, William Bain, Lucille Sims, Rachel Dzerkaz,…

img377e.jpg
This curfew bell, cast in England in 1856, signaled to the mill employees that by 9 p.m. each night they were to be home and in bed. Amory Maynard warned that any of his employees found on the streets after the bell tolled would lose their jobs. In…

img371e.jpg
During the flood of the Assabet River on March 13,1936, the river rose high enough to spill over its banks and to include the Walnut Street machine shop in mill Building No. 11 as part of the river.

img375e.jpg
This is one of the large boilers used to heat the mill buildings. The boilers could be fired by either gas or oil with an easy conversion.

img376e.jpg
This large floor safe was installed in the main office building in the Assabet Mills.

img374e.jpg
This shuttle with a bobbin of Khaki yarn was used in the Assabet Mills during World War One.

img363e.jpg
A photo of the Assabet Mills new storehouse building built in 1911.

img367e.jpg
A photo of the Maynard Mills looking up Walnut Street, dated 1914.

2013.326.jpeg
At first, the traditional wooden waterwheel was the prime mover in the Mill. Power was transmitted to the machines in different parts of the mill buildings by an intricate series of shafts and belts.