Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Maynard Railroad Station Sign

1999.204.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Maynard Railroad Station Sign

Description

A blue "Maynard" sign that is from the Boston & Maine railroad station which stood on the corner of today's Main Street and Railroad Street: 151 Main Street. From photos of the station this was one of, perhaps 3, signs that were on the side of building and by the track.

The railroad which ran from South Acton to Marlboro was known as the Marlboro Branch and was built through Maynard in 1849. From 1876 through 1906 it was part of the Fitchburg Railroad Company. From 1906 to it's closure in 1958 it was part of the Boston & Maine Railroad.

As many as 12 passenger trains ran through Maynard at one time. Passenger service was discontinued on May 16, 1958 and the stationed abandoned.

When the Station was to be torn down in July/August 1952 Mr. William Duckworth obtained the sign. In November 1952 the building was replaced with a gas station (Gately's). As of (at least) the mid 1990's the gas station building is not in operation / vacant.

There is confusion about when the station was built. The source of this confusion is that the first station was located near Sudbury Street which was later converted into the freight station and that appears to have been built in 1850. This station appears to have been built in 1880 when the line became part of the Fitchburg Railroad Company.

** At the time Railroad Street was not a street but where the railroad tracks were located.

Date

1958

Contributor

William Duckworth

Identifier

1999.204

Relation

Artifact Item Type Metadata

Materials

Wood, lucite; 22"L x 18"W.

Condition

Fair.

Storage

Small Artifacts Room.