Browse Items (41 total)
Date nails were inserted into the cross ties when they were laid on the railroad bed. The nails had two digits on the head that indicated the year. Date nails were in full use by 1910, with there use terminated in 1969 when other methods were used to…
Before the widespread availability of refrigeration one of the only way to keep things cool was with ice. Fresh water supplies, such as the Assabet River flowing through town, was a source of ice during the winter and a major industry grew up around…
This spike was found at the former carbarn of the Concord, Maynard and Hudson Street Railroad. It was likely used for the trolley tracks.
A review of various forms of transportation and how they conveyed residents of Maynard, including walking, horseback, stage-coaches, steam trains, electric trolleys, busses and, finally, the automobile.
An account of the turbulent interplay of alcohol, the Temperance movement and Prohibition in Maynard.
Canceled ticket for a special train for Maine Veterans of the Civil War from Boston to Gettysburg, PA.
A letter from Daniel S. Sanborn to R. L. Davis concerning some missing plans during the construction of the Sterling branch of the Fitchburg Rail Road.
A note certifying the work of Sewall F. Belknap during the month of February 1849 written by Robert Lewis Davis, Resident Engineer for the Railroad. Work done included moving 6,139 cubic yards of earth; and, moving 28 cubic yards of loose rock on…
A note from J. Gove, Esq. to Robert Lewis Davis, Esq. regarding a bill. The note is dated December 27, 1852, Concord, An envelope accompanies the note. The envelope is addressed to Robert Lewis Davis, Esq., Assabet, Mass.
A letter issued by John _ to R. Lewis Davis regarding a trip to New York. The letter was inside an envelope with the label Bent & Bush Co. This letter is part of a collection dated 1849 ca.
The Selectman, Micah Smith and A. E. Nelson, are concerned the railroad crossings are unsafe during the construction of the Sterling Branch of the Fitchburg Rail Road.
These two invoices list the horse, buggy and wagon rental to the Fitchburg Rail Road at the time of the Sterling Branch construction.
A letter requesting information to Mr. Davis from Nath J Wyeth concerning the amount of fill for a slope cut.
Newspaper clippings pasted on a cardboard backing.
In May of 1989 the last of the railroad bridge was removed to make way for the new foot bridge over the Assabet River and the new Tobin Park.
A stereograph showing the railroad crossing at Summer Street.
This was the B&M railroad bridge over the Assabet River.
A receipt of goods shipped to H. H. Townsend, Union Depot (Manchester), New Hampshire from the Assabet Manufacturing Co. ( woolen mill) via the Marlboro Division of the Fitchburg Railroad. Amory Maynard at that that time was the Mill Agent.…
The coal company picking up coal that was delivered by the Delaware & Hudson railroad car.
A collection of eight photos (5 shown) of the bridge off Main Street.