Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (73 total)

  • Tags: transportation

The automobile came into use shortly after the incorporation of Maynard. A short account of its introduction and growth of the automobile in town life.

A review of various forms of transportation and how they conveyed residents of Maynard, including walking, horseback, stage-coaches, steam trains, electric trolleys, busses and, finally, the automobile.

Photograph of students exiting a bus operated by Marty's Taxi Service to attend swimming lessons at Lake Boon.

(David Heitanen)

Various views of Sids Airport, a grass runway that ran parallel to Durant Avenue from Summer Street to Brian Way. It was used for many years for single engine aircraft. Sid is Sidney Mason.

The trolley car barn as seen from Summer Hill Road

Second photo: l to r
Front: Jim Mahoney
Center: Pat Murphy, Jack Keegan
Back: Bill Scully, Jim Hilferty

Albert Larkin and friends in his new motor boat on the Assabet River.
1st on right Albert Larkin

Dr. Frank U. Rich and his daughter, Gertrude, are seen driving one of the first automobile owned by a Maynard resident.

Wooden sign announcing bus specials headed to Revere Beach from Leominster, Lancaster, Clinton, Berlin, Hudson, Stow and Maynard

Woolen cloth being shipped by express from the Assabet Mills in 1920. The mill workers were able to load 347 pieces of wrapped wool onto the train car in 5 and 1/2 minutes.
From Left to Right 1.___, 2. Florian Konowicz, 3. Harley O'Brien, 4. John…

The file contains newspaper reports of the head on collision in November 26, 1905 of Boston & Maine trains at Baker Bridge, Lincoln resulting in loss of life and injuries. Maynard residents involved in the accident include: Harvey Broadbent, Matthew…

The photos show airplanes on the grass runway along the Assabet River side of Powder Mill Road approximately where Powdermill Circle is located.

Train crossing the Assabet River on bridge off Main Street. The second photo shows the bridge at a later date with a bridge below the train crossing. The bridge was built in 1849 and dismantled in 1982.

First photo shows Main Street looking toward the center of town. The Assabet Mill is on right and the poles show the town is electrified with telephone service.

First photo is a copy from an ad in the local paper. The boats ran from south of the Ben Smith Dam, Maynard to Lake Boon from May to October. It is likely the "Gertrude" in front of the boat house in Maynard. The chimney in back right is at the…

Plates read:1st - Erected for W. F. Litchield
2nd- The United Construction Co
Albany N.Y.
Bridge Co,
of N.Y.

The bridge was built in…

A trolley car crossing the Assabet River at the Powder Mill Woods.