Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (12 total)

  • Tags: ice house

A metal sign that was removed from a garage used by Leo Comeau for storage of his ice truck and equipment.

The atlas contains maps of the cities, towns and villages of Middlesex County with the names of streets, houses, churches, schools and hotels.

The map of Maynard includes:

Streets: Acton, Alendale (Glendale), Beachmont, Brooks, Concord, Front,…

Before the widespread availability of refrigeration one of the only way to keep things cool was with ice. Fresh water supplies, such as the Assabet River flowing through town, was a source of ice during the winter and a major industry grew up around…

The placard was placed in the window indicating to the driver that ice was needed.

Tags: ,

In 1849 when the Marlboro Branch of the railroad was completed, a large ice house was erected by N.J. Wyeth where the Front Street houses now stand. It was of brick construction and held 40,000 tons of ice which was cut on the mill pond and shipped…

The ice house was built by Bent then later run by C. C. Murray and John Zaniewski.
The first photo was taken in 1903, the second is the remains after it burned in 1922 with the Concord, Maynard and Hudson Trolley chimney in the background, and the…

The ice house was built by John Comeau, later owned by Fred Taylor. It was located on the Stow side of the Assabet River by Russel Bridge, seen in photo.

l to r
1st picture: Al Isner, Jack Whitney, Doug Crowe, Carl Nelson, Frank Mosher

2nd photo: Stout's wagons


W. O. Strout's delivery truck was used as transportation for the church outing. Mr. Strout is standing beside the cab.

This team practiced at the old Bent Ice House and competed with the Maynard Town Team of the period.

l to r
Front: Pat Hansen, Ra Lingley, Wallace Locke
Rear: Bill Moynihan, John O'Moore (Mgr), George Bower

The ice house is located in the center of the photo with the Johnson Pharmacy advertising. In front left may be seen the ice run. In left background is the Assabet River Launch boathouse and the Concord, Maynard and Hudson Street Railway car barn…

These were the property of J. Leo Comeau, who was the last of the icemen to make deliveries in town. He delivered ice right up to the day he was stricken in May 1965. He used the apron when carrying the ice.

In 1849 when the Marlboro Branch of…