Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (18 total)

  • Tags: cigar

see1999.4 and 1999.2470 for an account of cigars in Maynard.

John W. Connors in 1900 was making cigars in his factory at Loew's Block, Nason St. He made the "J. W. C." and "Forester" and the "Home Market Club". Cornelius J. Lynch bought out Connors in 1910 , expanded the business and moved to the Masonic…

George E. "Speck" White manufactured cigars in his shop in the basement of the Masonic Block. see 1999.4 for more info

The end panel has "Captor" displayed, a brand manufactured by George E. White.
see 1999.4


A trimmer used to cut cigars from 3 to 6 inches. The trimmer was used by George E. White, who owned and operated a cigar manufacturing shop in the basement of the Masonic Block, Main St., from 1916 to 1922. His brands included "Middlesex" -10…

Tags: , ,

Used to cut the tip of the cigar.

A brass table lighter, base is missing. The lighter was found in 1966 at the site of the Puffer Homestead on Puffer Road, now part of the Assabet Wildlife Sanctuary.

A metal windproof cigarette lighter.

"Home Market Club", "Forester Guide", "Rosebud", "Middlesex" and the "Captor" are just a few names of cigars manufactured in Maynard through the late 1920's.

Outer cigar box label that was presumably sold in Maynard.

The two women are standing on a bridge enjoying a smoke. It's possible that this is a photo taken later of two women dressed in period costumes.

The store was located at what is now 6-8 Main Street. Maurice Blatt was also a Junk Dealer.

The Maynard Smoke Shop was located in the Masonic Building at 100 Main St. and was run by the Sheridan brothers (Frank and Joseph). It was a popular meeting place for the men, young and old. This group was gathered on Labor Day in 1919.
The ads in…

Tags: ,

Cornelius Lynch owned a cigar company and Spec White was one of the cigar makers.

Back to Front: Cornelius Lynch, Spec White, ___?


Cornelius Lynch, a former state representative, purchased the business of a Mr. Connors in 1907 and in 1910 moved to the Masonic building. The shop became one of the most popular places in town. At the time of the photo it was owned by Tim and…

This store was possibly located in back of the Nason Street shops. The cigar boxes in the window read: Sailors Pride Tobacco, Standard Navy and Horse Shoe.

l to r:
Front: Henry Tobin, ___?, Cornelius Lynch, Mike Maley
Back: __?,___?


l to r
Front: George (Speck) White, George Lynch (Joe Tucker?)

Back: Cornelius Lynch, Jim Farrell, Ed Billet, Hugh Miller

Cornelius J. Lynch owner of the Middlesex Cigar Mfg. Company was the manager of the bowling team. "Speck" White was…

The Odd Fellows Building was built in the late 1890's for Julius Loewe who had a pharmacy in one part of the store. There was also a jeweler and a men's clothing store. On the second floor was a hall where several of the local organizations held…