Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Centennial Monograph: Saint Casimir's Church


Dublin Core


Centennial Monograph: Saint Casimir's Church


The origins and evolution of St. Casimir's church, an offspring of St. Bridget's focused on the Polish community.


Mary Howe





Document Item Type Metadata


Toward the end of the Nineteenth Century, there was a steady and remarkable growth in the Polish population of Maynard.

Their first spiritual guide and protector was a Father Frug, a curate at St. Bridget’s. It was he who first suggested that they establish their own Parish, which they did.

About 1912 William Cardinal O’Connell appointed Father Jablonsk as their Pastor. All services were conducted at the Mother Church St. Bridget’s.

However, as time went on, there was a great desire among the Polish people to acquire a separate church.

In 1926 Father John S. Dziok(?), now Monsignor Dziok of Hyde Park, was the second Pastor. At this time St. Casimir’s Parish purchased the Power Station at the car barns on Great Road. Thanks to the personal efforts and toil of the hardy and faithful parishioners the building' was remodeled into a church. It was built to accommodate 360 people, with an additional 50 in the choir.

Placed under the patronage of St. Casimir, the church was blessed on November 12, 1928 by the Right Rev. Richard Haberlin as a personal representative of his Eminence William Cardinal O'Connell.

In 1932 the first Confirmation was conferred by His Excellency Bishop J. B. Peterson D. D.

By 1937 St. Casimir’s had acquired a Rectory.

In 1939, after 13 years of dedicated work among his parishioner Father Dziok left Maynard to take up his duties at St. Hedwig's, Cambridge, Mass. His successor, Father William Maciaszek came here from Lowell, where he served as curate at Holy Trinity in that city.

In 1940 the Children of Mary Sodality was established.

In 1945 Father Maciaszek left St. Casimir’s. His successor was Rev. Francis S. Miaskiewicz D. C. L. the fourth and present Pastor. He was ordained in 1937. He studied at the Catholic University of America , specializing in Canon Law, and minoring in Social Work. In 1940 he received his Doctorate. He served at St. Aiden’s, Brooklin and as Administrator at Holy Trinity in Lowell, Mass,

In 1952 the 40th Anniversary of the Parish was observed with a Solemn Mass of Thanksgiving o n Nov. 11 and a Parish Reunion and Dance on Nov. 15.

In 1962 the Parish assisted in the celebration of the Silver Jubilee of the Ordination of their Pastor, "Father Frank". The Holy Mass of Thanksgiving was celebrated on Sunday, May 27, followed by a banquet at Monaco’s Ten Acres. More than 800 people attended.

St. Casimir’s also observed the Golden Jubilee of its existence in 1962. On this occasion the Parish made liberal donations Cardinal's Charity Fund, and to the Parish’s pet charity project, Czestochowa at Hyde Park. Thousands of dollars were donated at this time also by individuals and families for the enrichment of the Parish Church.

Since 1945 materials and improvements included Church kneelers, complete re-roofing of the church and hall, new cross on the top of the Church, carillons and chimes, new marble side Altars, tiling of the entire church, carpeting of the Sanctuary, two complete remodelings of the interior of the church. Many new sacred vessels were acquired. A new dual system of heating was installed, plus a new system of electrification. An addition to the church Hall was constructed, which was completely the result of dedicated parish labor.

In 1964 a loud speaking system was installed, a gift of one of the parishioners. Gifts of money are now being donated toward the acquisition of a new altar which will be installed in the near future to conform to the recent changes in the Mass.