Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (59 total)

  • Collection: The Powder Mills, Paper Mill and Jewell Mill

The mill was located at the corner of Waltham and Parker Streets, on the river side of Parker Street. Built in 1820 by William May, it was sold to John Sawyer and then later to William Parker. In 1831 it became the Fourdrinier Paper Co., Inc. That…

The photo shows the mill and the Mill Street bridge that spans the Assabet River. This was a combined grist, saw and cider mill run by Asa Smith. It was also known as Jewell's Mill and became the place to hear the news or local gossip. Spindles and…

Tags: ,

File contains histories, incorporation notices, newspaper clippings and miscellaneous information relative to the mill, dam and bridge.

First three photos are of the Powder Mills building surrounded by water from the flooded Assabet River.
The fourth photo is the Assabet River at the rear of the Middlesex Laundry near the Paper Mill (Waltham Street) Bridge. The last photo is the…

Three photos with a view of the Powder Mills. Two photos with Walter Larkin at the Powder Mills.

The picture on the left was taken from Pine Hill on the north side of the Assabet River. A copy from a postcard. All the land along the river was considered good farm land.

The picture on the right is a house of the village, now 106 Powder Mill…

see 1999.956 for information on the presentation and award.

see 1999.956 for information on the presentation and award.

l to r
top row: Harold J. Morgan, Rufus F. Burgess, Michael Murray & Fred Jones

A certificate given to William Salo in recognition for his contributions "by effort and efficiency while an employee of this company in winning the Army-Navy Production Award for Excellence in War Production"

The "E" or Excellence Award was given to plants for outstanding contribution to the war effort. About 5% of the plants in existence during WWII received the award.

Master of Ceremonies: Harold J. Morgan
Greetings of the Community: George A.…

The file contains various histories and papers related to the origin and operation of the Mills. It also contains newspaper clippings of the explosions that occurred over the years.

l to r
Standing: William McGarry, Jack Carey
Seated: Lee Donahue

1st photo: Smokeless Powder Mill - 1910 Jack Punch
2nd photo: Black Powder Mill - 1913 William McGarry

The Powder Mills owned over 400 acres with the various mills separated on the property for safety reasons.

The theme of the float was the "Cotton Club" with some of the musicians in blackface.

Machine shop, carpenter shop, and old office at the powder mills. Water gate to wheel mills, early 1900s.
The building in the center with the chimney is still standing with the latest renovation taking place in 2011 for commercial use.

l to r
Horse "Charles", William Hooper, William Hird, Frank Rand, Horse "Tige"